Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Blogger Locking Blogs

UPDATE: The problem is fixed. I think I owe it to Blogger to let people know that, seeing as they did resolve the problem promptly.

I have four informative blogs--serious blogs regarding the treatment of various health issues--that Blogger has chosen to lock. Apparently, their spam software has determined my blogs to have "spam blog" tendencies. Let's look at this for a moment: I am a real person posting things; I never post at the same time every day (and even if I did, that doesn't mean I'm spamming); I post informative articles and occasionally links to items in the news, not 20 links to the same site.


These blogs are meant to be informative and to help people out--how in the world are these regarded as spam? Is there a rule that if your blog isn't of a truly personal nature, then it is a spam blog? Are blogs not allowed to be helpful and informative? Are blogs not allowed to teach people things, to help them? I don't get it.

As for posting articles on your blogs--about.com, yahoo news, new york times online...these sites do it all the time. I have never posted an article that I didn't have the rights to post--I always include an author byline (as requested). Basically, I have four blogs that are blog versions of sites where you go to read articles and become informed about a subject. The only difference is that they are in blog form (which makes them easier to read). I thought the idea was ingenious (who cares to read about what I had for dinner or what party I went to last Friday?): a blog that has information to actually help people. I guess that's spam now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home